3 Types of Headline Formulas That SELL
It’s been said that first impressions are everything and in the online marketing world of today, they are even more important than ever. One of the ways to make your first impression is your headline on your landing page.
Your headlines are MEANT to grab people’s attention so keep that front and center when you are coming up with them. You want to make it EASY for people to know what you can do for them and communicate this in ONE simple sentence. You want to entice them to read further and show what you have to offer and how it may be right for them.
While there are many ways to do this, here are THREE proven headline formulas that consistently grab people’s attention.
How To De-Stress In 10 Minutes!
I love how-to headlines. They get me every time and they probably do that to you too. It’s because people love information that shows them how to do something. If your video or product is sharing information, this one is a definite headline you want to try. To create them, think of the benefits your video or product offers. I also feel the best include specific time frames as in “in 30 days” and or money savings “for pennies a day.” That is what we
How Do You Stop Your Dog From Jumping On People?
Question headlines are powerful because they beg for an answer. People are drawn to answering questions so these headlines automatically gets your readers involved in your message. They will want to read further to see what answer the is, did they get it right or what is the answer or solution you provide with your product. Make it customer focused. Use “you” in it not “I.” Open ended questions are best – those are ones that can’t be answered with a yes or no. However if you do go the yes/no question route, make sure you answer it immediately in the headline or phrase it so that your prospect has to read further to answer it. For example, you can say “Drowning in Debt? Find Answers Here,” or “Having Retirement Worries? This Video Can End Them.”
Also using words like “this” or “these” or even “which” are helpful in implying an answer or benefit within the question. “Do You Make These Money Mistakes?” will likely get your prospect reading further.
Clear Up Your Acne In 1 Day!
Do you offer something so special that will not only make your prospect’s key problem better but which they can’t easily get somewhere else? Using a powerful, compelling benefit headline may work for you. For these types of headlines, think about the top benefit you offer and include it. Make sure you must have done your homework in order to know what benefit will motivate your prospect/s to take action. Some other benefit headline examples are “Save More Money for Your Retirement – Starting Today!” and “Sleep Better Instantly With This Simple Trick!”
Make sure you are focusing on the BENEFITS and not features, i.e., a factual statement about the product or service being promoted like online download, easy reading book, etc. Features DO NOT entice customers to buy. Benefits do because it answers the question “What’s in it for me?” meaning the feature provides the customer with that something of value. For example, the benefit of an “online download,” is “access to immediate information on how to start saving more money for retirement.”
Once you come up with a bunch of headlines, you’ll want to test them on different landing pages and see how they work for you.
You want your visitors and prospects to know you have something they’re interested in. When they do, they’ll take the time to read what you’re offering. So put some thought into creating headlines that intrigue and attract.
- List all the features of your video or product then come up with the benefit of that feature.
- Experiment with these 3 different headline formulas. I find it helpful to use a headline generator such as Headline Magician, a free online headline generator.
- How to Get Customers to Buy Your Video – Blog post
- Selling Special Interest Videos: Sell The Sizzle, Not The Steak – Blog post
- In our book Shoot To Sell: Make Money Producing Special Interest Videos, we offer a lot more tips and techniques on creating ad copy that sells.
- How To Fix Vertical Video Footage - May 21, 2016
- Where Can You Find Free Photographs You Can Use In Your Videos? - March 4, 2016
- 9 Tips for Shooting Instructional Videos That People WANT to Watch - January 29, 2016
- Documentary Video Interview: How to Respond to the Answers - December 11, 2015
- Documentary Video Interview: Are You Asking The RIGHT Questions? - October 27, 2015
- How To Direct a Great Documentary Video Interview - September 25, 2015
- 21 of Our Best Email Subject Lines and Why They Worked So Well - August 11, 2015
- 3 Types of Headline Formulas That SELL - July 15, 2015
- Shooting Video Interviews: What to do When Things Go Wrong - June 26, 2015
- Shooting Video Interviews: Here Is Why You Want To Get A Release - June 3, 2015