Your Video Tripod: What You NEED to Have
A tripod is another one of those essential items that you need in order to shoot great video. Not all tripods are equal though. This is one area, in my opinion, where spending more is a good investment.
But what should you look for in a good quality video tripod?
First off, a tripod for your video camera is DIFFERENT than a tripod for your still camera. In this short video I shot while I was at the Sachtler booth at NAB, I show you what you need to have in your video tripod.
- Why a tripod designed for your still camera won’t work well for video;
- Why the size of your camera is an important consideration in your tripod choice;
- What makes a video tripod more stable;
- What type of tripod head you want;
- And why I prefer one type of leg adjustment to another.
(If you can’t view this video on this page, you can watch it here on YouTube.)
A good, quality tripod, like your microphones and lighting equipment, will last you for years and in my opinion is totally worth the money spent. Sachtler offers top notch tripods with prices starting around $500, other brands I’ve used and like include Manfrotto (affordable), Cartoni (expensive), Libec, Miller and OConnor (very expensive). If you are just starting out and have a limited budget, Manfrotto may be your best compromise between cost and quality.
Right now our favorite camera store, B&H Audio Video is offering a great price on the Sachtler Ace M Fluid Head with 2-Stage Aluminum Tripod & Mid-Level Spreader. Normally priced at $557, it’s now on sale for $489.
- Keynote for Mac: Here is Why it’s the ONLY Presentation Software Worth Using - August 22, 2014
- Best Images For Your Website – Max Rylski’s Marketing Graphics Toolkit Review - June 12, 2014
- Make More Money With Your Videos By Adding Other People’s Products - November 21, 2013
- Want to Make More Money? Expand Your Existing Product Line - November 12, 2013
- How Much Can You Make Selling Your Own Video Titles? Scenario #2 - November 5, 2013
- How Much Can You Make Selling Your Own Video Titles? Scenario #1 - October 29, 2013
- Make Money With Videos: More Benefits To Selling Special Interest Videos - October 22, 2013
- Make More Money: The Shoot it Once, Sell it for Years Method - October 15, 2013
- Why Should You Consider Selling Your Own Videos? Is There Really a Market For These? - October 7, 2013
- Types of Microphones: What Video Microphone Should You Get First? - September 18, 2013