Home Video Studio Basics: Lighting
Home video studio basics start with the lighting.
Several people have asked us lately what they need to set up a simple home video studio. The good news is it doesn’t have to be expensive.
You can find LED bulbs and work lights at your local hardware store that will suffice. But with a little more investment, you can actually get some nice lighting kits that are much better to use and a lot less expensive than you may think.
Here are some lighting kits to get you started. I’m assuming you’re wanting to record yourself in your home. The smaller light kits I’m suggesting are fine for that application but would not be enough light if you want to light yourself in a larger setting, like in front of an audience. If you want to do that you’ll want the bigger light kits.
You can certainly spend more on bigger and more powerful light kits; these suggestions are for basic home video studio use.
Photo backdrops are readily available and give you a very wide range of looks. Search on “photo backdrops” on Amazon.com and you’ll see many options.
These are all daylight balanced bulbs so you won’t have a white balance issue if you have daylight spilling into your room. By combining these inexpensive lighting kits with some painted muslin or solid color backdrops you will go a long way toward making your videos look like they were done in a professional studio.
HOME VIDEO STUDIO LIGHTING AND BACKDROPS
Here’s a simple, inexpensive light kit. This retails on Amazon.com for $55.95
Here is a much more complete light kit: I like that it includes a hair or rim light. You’ll be paying more for this – $220 at Amazon.com.
Here is an inexpensive backdrop stand in case you want to add photo backdrops. It retails for $54.99 on Amazon.com.
Here is a very inexpensive setup which includes a backdrop holder and a black, a white and a green backdrop. You can get it at Amazon.com for $151.43.
I like this for a super budget package because it has two lights for the model (key and fill light) plus two lights so that you can even light your background for easy Chromakeying. It isn’t a ton of light buy is adequate and is super affordable.
Retails $169.99 at Amazon.com.
You can purchase additional painted backdrops like this for $24.95 at Amazon.com.
- Keynote for Mac: Here is Why it’s the ONLY Presentation Software Worth Using - August 22, 2014
- Best Images For Your Website – Max Rylski’s Marketing Graphics Toolkit Review - June 12, 2014
- Make More Money With Your Videos By Adding Other People’s Products - November 21, 2013
- Want to Make More Money? Expand Your Existing Product Line - November 12, 2013
- How Much Can You Make Selling Your Own Video Titles? Scenario #2 - November 5, 2013
- How Much Can You Make Selling Your Own Video Titles? Scenario #1 - October 29, 2013
- Make Money With Videos: More Benefits To Selling Special Interest Videos - October 22, 2013
- Make More Money: The Shoot it Once, Sell it for Years Method - October 15, 2013
- Why Should You Consider Selling Your Own Videos? Is There Really a Market For These? - October 7, 2013
- Types of Microphones: What Video Microphone Should You Get First? - September 18, 2013