Video – Creative Problem Solving MacGyver Would Love
Do you remember that TV show in the late 80’s-early 90’s named MacGyver, about the resourceful secret agent who solved complex problems with everyday materials? He always got himself out of a rough spot though his ability to take advantage of what he found around him.
Sometimes when you’re shooting videos, you have to do the same if you find you’re faced with a challenging shot or a special request from your talent or you just don’t have what you need on hand. Rather than miss the opportunity to shoot, you’ve got to do some creative video problem solving. I’ve used many a stable surface as a tripod, the sun shade from my car as a reflector, a large golf umbrella to block light and most recently our wall clock as a count down timer while shooting an exercise video series.
About 5 years ago, I worked on the stop-motion animated television special, Davey and Goliath’s Snowboard Christmas Special with a true legend, Ron Dexter. His production company did many commercials – remember those very creative California raisin commercials to the tune of Marvin Gaye’s, “Heard It From The Grapevine.” He did those.
Ron was the MacGyver on the set – his mantra was “if you don’t have something, make it.” He’s done this for years and always had a way to solve a problem. Many of the ideas he has come up with throughout his career is now manufactured and sold.
Another fellow videographer friend of mine just came up with the most interesting microphone holder for our recent exercise video shoot that we plan on sharing in our SIV Academy. I’ll just say that it is an inventive use of male underwear.
Here’s a fun little video we shot in Key West. I got Kim on camera with what she likes to call one of her MacGyver techniques.
Do you have any tricks you’d like to share here? I would love to hear how you creatively solved a video challenge.
- Keynote for Mac: Here is Why it’s the ONLY Presentation Software Worth Using - August 22, 2014
- Best Images For Your Website – Max Rylski’s Marketing Graphics Toolkit Review - June 12, 2014
- Make More Money With Your Videos By Adding Other People’s Products - November 21, 2013
- Want to Make More Money? Expand Your Existing Product Line - November 12, 2013
- How Much Can You Make Selling Your Own Video Titles? Scenario #2 - November 5, 2013
- How Much Can You Make Selling Your Own Video Titles? Scenario #1 - October 29, 2013
- Make Money With Videos: More Benefits To Selling Special Interest Videos - October 22, 2013
- Make More Money: The Shoot it Once, Sell it for Years Method - October 15, 2013
- Why Should You Consider Selling Your Own Videos? Is There Really a Market For These? - October 7, 2013
- Types of Microphones: What Video Microphone Should You Get First? - September 18, 2013