Choosing A Topic For Your Video
Choosing a topic for your video is a bit like deciding on a college major during your freshman year.
You either know exactly what you want to study and do with your life after college, or you become ‘undeclared’ and pursue a variety of majors to find the one that’s right for you.
The difference between college and being a special interest video producer is that you must choose a major in order to graduate, whereas you can remain ‘undeclared’ forever as you work on building a business with your special interest videos.
How to choose a topic: Two keys to picking a successful topic
The best way to get started in this business if you haven’t produced anything like this before and you don’t know where to start, is to focus on choosing a topic you are interested in and know something about.
Choose a topic that interests you
Producing a special interest video is much like writing a book. You will be spending a lot of time, effort and investment in producing this project. Your interest in the topic will give you the motivation and commitment to see the project through to completion. Then when you are ready to sell “your baby,” you’ll be more enthusiastic about promoting and marketing it which will increase your chances for success.
Once you see success in this topic and gain the skills you need, then you can branch to other niches if you wish.
Choose a topic you know well
When you know about the topic you are producing, you will use the correct terminology within that area. This isn’t only necessary to produce quality, factual video, you’ll also know the language your ideal customer uses so that you can successfully market to them. Your “marketing voice” will be more authentic.
You’ll be able to choose a good title for your video. It’s important to not only have an appropriate title but one that will also excite and entice your customer.
Most likely you have a deeper understanding of the niche so that you can expand your video products further and sell to the same customers. You’ll find that if you produce many videos within a niche, you will be seen as an expert and be set up to rule that niche.
Finally, it’s simply more fun when you know and love the topic. You’ll get the advantage of being able to indulge yourself in your topic while producing and selling a video to others who share your passion. It’s a win-win.
If you’re ready to start, you’ll want to check out the two DVDs we have, Make Money Selling Your Videos and My Secrets Of Producing Successful Special Interest Videos. We are also going to be offering a new 16 week course in our SIV Academy in July so sign up to be the first to be notified. We’ll be offering discounts to our customers.
- How To Fix Vertical Video Footage - May 21, 2016
- Where Can You Find Free Photographs You Can Use In Your Videos? - March 4, 2016
- 9 Tips for Shooting Instructional Videos That People WANT to Watch - January 29, 2016
- Documentary Video Interview: How to Respond to the Answers - December 11, 2015
- Documentary Video Interview: Are You Asking The RIGHT Questions? - October 27, 2015
- How To Direct a Great Documentary Video Interview - September 25, 2015
- 21 of Our Best Email Subject Lines and Why They Worked So Well - August 11, 2015
- 3 Types of Headline Formulas That SELL - July 15, 2015
- Shooting Video Interviews: What to do When Things Go Wrong - June 26, 2015
- Shooting Video Interviews: Here Is Why You Want To Get A Release - June 3, 2015