Special Interest Videos…What Is That?
There’s a reward in it for you if you can help me define them.
It’s funny, I’ve been in the business of producing and marketing what I call “special interest videos” for 30 years. I know what I mean by that, but I’ve noticed that when I use that phrase with others, particularly people not in the video business, they don’t have a clue what I’m talking about.
This has been bugging me for years, and I’m still searching for a way to describe the type of videos we’re telling you how to produce, market, distribute and sell. I welcome your input on a better way to describe it.
I sometime say “how-to” videos, but not everything we produce shows how to do something. At other times I’ll say educational videos and there is generally a nod of recognition, but that doesn’t always accurately describe it either. For two decades that was an accurate description when I was producing for the school market, but today my efforts and yours are much broader than that. I suppose they are all educational in some sense, but people will generally assume that educational videos are produced for schools. “Training videos” is accurate sometimes, but not always.
I’ll also say “non-fiction videos,” “expert videos,” or I’ll say I’m in the business of video publishing. I like video publishing, but that confuses people, too.
“Niche videos” may be the most accurate way of describing it, but do you think the average person would know what that means?
(Interesting aside – I’ve been doing a lot of keyword research around the words “niche videos” and I’ve discovered that Grupo Niche is a popular band in Mexico so there’s a lot of searches on their music videos – not exactly the market I’m hoping to target. Hint: when you use Google Keyword Tool External, don’t overlook clicking through to the insight. You’ll see a small magnifying glass next to your keyword. That’s how I discovered the band.)
I would seriously like your input on this. I think it is an important issue and if you come up with the perfect way to describe it, I’ll reward you with a set of our DVDs on how to produce and market Special Interest Videos (that’s what they are called now) and a free membership in our upcoming online training program.
Please tell us your thoughts and suggestions in the comment box below.
- Keynote for Mac: Here is Why it’s the ONLY Presentation Software Worth Using - August 22, 2014
- Best Images For Your Website – Max Rylski’s Marketing Graphics Toolkit Review - June 12, 2014
- Make More Money With Your Videos By Adding Other People’s Products - November 21, 2013
- Want to Make More Money? Expand Your Existing Product Line - November 12, 2013
- How Much Can You Make Selling Your Own Video Titles? Scenario #2 - November 5, 2013
- How Much Can You Make Selling Your Own Video Titles? Scenario #1 - October 29, 2013
- Make Money With Videos: More Benefits To Selling Special Interest Videos - October 22, 2013
- Make More Money: The Shoot it Once, Sell it for Years Method - October 15, 2013
- Why Should You Consider Selling Your Own Videos? Is There Really a Market For These? - October 7, 2013
- Types of Microphones: What Video Microphone Should You Get First? - September 18, 2013